If you are planning to travel to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and have a layover in Dubai, you may need to apply for a transit visa. Moreover, a transit visa UAE is a type of short-term visa that allows you to stay in this Arabic nation for up to 96 hours.
In this article, we will respond all your pressing questions. Who should go for this visa, the papers you need, how to submit an application, checking on your status, and the fees involved. Ready for some insights? Let us get started.
Who needs to apply for the UAE transit visa?
Not everyone needs a transit visa to enter the UAE. If you are a citizen of one of the following countries, you can enter the country without this document:
- GCC countries (Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and Saudi Arabia)
- Andorra, Australia, Brunei, Canada, China, Hong Kong, Ireland, Japan, Kazakhstan, Macau, Malaysia, Mauritius, Monaco, New Zealand, Russia, San Marino, Singapore, South Korea, Ukraine, United Kingdom, United States and Vatican City.
If you are not a citizen of one of these countries, you will require a transit visa UAE to visit the country. However, there are certain exceptions. You are unlikely to require a transit visa if you are:
- Transiting through the UAE for less than 8 hours and you have a confirmed onward flight ticket.
- You are transiting through the UAE for less than 24 hours and you have a hotel reservation or a sponsor in the UAE.
- Or finally, if you have a valid visa or residence permit from one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Schengen area countries, United Kingdom or United States.
However, if you are looking to stay in the country for working reasons, you should apply for a work permit visa instead.
Documents required for Dubai transit visa application
There are several different visas in the UAE, like the employment visa. However, the transit one is probably among the easiest to obtain.
Another important thing to highlight is that you might need to pay a VPN fine in case you use any. There are some restrictions in the UAE and it is preferable that you avoid inconveniences.
Furthermore, if you want to know how to get transit visa for Dubai, you will definitely be needing some specific papers. Even if it is easier than other visas, certain documentation must be presented for a transit visa UAE. For example:
- A confirmed return plane ticket
- Scanned passport copy,
- A scanned passport size photograph copy
- Scanned color copy of the Pan Card,
- A third-country visa copy, and an entry and departure ticket copy are among the papers they require.
- Also, if you are seeking for a transit visa Dubai for a kid, you must additionally present a copy of their birth certificate.
However, we are now giving you further information about each document and why are they necessary:
Confirmed return air ticket
A return air ticket with confirmation is the first document they require for a Dubai transit visa application. This document must demonstrate that the applicant has booked a flight to a location other than the UAE. This ticket, together with the other needed documentation, must be presented.
A scanned passport copy
A scanned passport copy is one of the main documents for a Dubai transit visa application. The applicant’s name, their date of birth, place of birth, and passport number must all be included in this document. Do not forget that It must also be valid for at least six months beyond the transit date on your schedule.
A scanned passport size photograph
Another document you will need for your transit visa Dubai application is a scanned passport size image copy. This color photograph must have been taken within the last six months. Additionally, remember the photograph must also be clear and show your face.
Scanned color copy of Pan Card
The fourth document they ask you in Dubai for transit visa UAE is a scanned color copy of the Pan Card. Moreover, this document must include the applicant’s name, date of birth, and of course the Pan Card number.
Third country visa copy
A third-country visa copy is the sixth document required for a Dubai transit visa application. This document must contain the visa number, the name of the issuing nation, and the visa’s expiration date.
Entry and exit ticket copy
Going further, an important document they will ask you to bring for a transit visa UAE is an entry and exit ticket copy. This document must show that you already have been booking a flight to and from the UAE.
Birth certificate of a child
Now this document will be only necessary when you travel with a child. A copy of the kid’s birth certificate is the documentation the Emiratis authorities will require. This paperwork must include the child’s name, birth date, and location. A similar process to when the asker is an adult.
Nonetheless this only applies if you are just transiting through the UAE. If you are looking to stay in the country with your sons and work there, you must apply for a family visa instead.
How to apply for a Dubai transit visa?
You can apply for a Dubai transit visa online through one of the following websites:
- Emirates Airlines:
When you fly with Emirates Airlines, the most famous airline, you can apply for a transit visa UAE through their website. However, you will need to have a valid Emirates booking reference number.
- Etihad Airways:
If you are flying with Etihad Airways, you can apply for a transit visa through their website. Furthermore, you will need to have a valid Etihad booking reference number.
If you are booking a flight with FlyDubai, you can apply for a transit visa through their official website. Once again, you will need to have a valid FlyDubai booking reference number.
- Marhaba Services:
How to apply transit visa for Dubai? Well, Marhaba Services is ideal for when you are flying with any other airline or if you prefer to use an independent service provider. Therefore, you can apply for a transit visa through Marhaba Services. However, in this case you will need to pay an additional service fee.
Duration of the UAE Transit Visa
If you are still wondering how to apply for transit visa UAE, now we will tell you that about the duration. This is a short-term type of document for visitors from some countries who are transiting through the Arab nation.
Moreover, this document in particular lasts only 96 hours and allows travelers to stay in the UAE throughout that period. The visa is issued by the UAE General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA).
The duration of this visa is regulated by the tourist’s nationality. Some nations issue transit visas for up to 96 hours. However, for others, the visa is valid for up to 48 hours. Although the visa is free, there is indeed a “transit fee” for visitors. You must cover this cost in order to stay in the UAE for the duration of the visa.
Travelers must also have a valid ticket to their destination country and a valid passport. Also, the visitors need to present a proof of housing in the UAE, such as hotel reservations. Before visiting the emirates, visitors surely need to get an approved eVisa. However, they can easily obtain a visa on arrival at the UAE embassy or consulate in their home country if necessary.
Dubai Transit Visa Application Process
The Dubai transit visa application process is simple and fast. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Fill out the online application form with your personal and travel details
- Upload the required documents as scanned copies
- Pay the visa fee using a credit or debit card
- Receive your visa approval by email within 3 to 4 working days
- Print out your visa and carry it with you when you travel
Transit visa UAE is definitely a must-have document for everyone visiting the country. It allows tourists to remain in the country for a short length of time and see all that it has to offer. It is also important to note that visitors must abide by the UAE’s norms and regulations. If they do not comply with the visa criteria that we have been discussing, however, they will be deported.
How to Check Dubai transit visa status
It is simple to find your Dubai transit visa status online. You just have to visit the site you applied on. You must include your application reference number as well as the one in your passport. Additionally, there is the possibility to get help from the website’s customer care or your airline. The greatest thing is that checking the status of your Dubai transit visa is quick and easy to accomplish online. Specially nowadays in the virtual world we live in. Now, you must also take the following steps:
- Start by visiting the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs website.
- You will need your passport number, visa number, and date of arrival in the UAE to access the website.
- Once you have entered the required information, click the ‘check status’ button.
- A page will appear with your current visa status.
- The page will show if the visa is valid, if it has been approved, or if it has been rejected.
- You can also view information about your visa application, including when it was submitted and when it was approved or rejected.
- If your visa has been approved, you will be able to view your visa details, including the date of issue, the expiry date, and any other relevant information.
- You can also view additional documents related to your visa application. Such as copies of your passport and other supporting documents like we have been mentioning.
- If you need to make changes to your visa status, you can submit a request through the website.
- Additionally, you can contact the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs if you need further assistance.
It is indeed a similar process to when you check your UAE labor card or any other important document related to the emirates.
Cost of the Transit Visa in the UAE
The price of a transit visa UAE varies according on where you apply and the type of service you select. Here are some approximate prices:
- Emirates Airlines: AED 230 (USD 63) for normal service or AED 315 (USD 86) for express service
- Etihad Airways: AED 300 (USD 82) for normal service or AED 600 (USD 163) for express service
- FlyDubai: AED 250 (USD 68) for normal service or AED 350 (USD 95) for express service
- Marhaba Services: AED 350 (USD 95) for normal service or AED 450 (USD 123) for express service
A transit visa UAE is the greatest way to spend your stopover in the famous Arab country. You can obtain this document online through your airline or an independent service provider. And, as previously said, you must submit certain paperwork, pay a fee, and wait for approval. You can stay in the UAE for up to 96 hours with a transit visa. Nonetheless, before you fly, double-check the visa requirements as well as the status of your application.
However, if you have further questions contact us today for more information about transit visa UAE or any other subject.